Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The end of a volume... but not the end.

(U.S. Army photo illustration by Sgt. Breanne Pye)

March 27, 2012:

I didn't know what to think this morning when my Brigade Surgeon called an impromptu meeting with me.

"I'll see you at 1300, kiddo," he said.

That should have been my first clue. Since when does a U.S. Army Major call a 32 yr. old  Sergeant 'kiddo'?

I didn't take a lunch today. Too much weighing on my mind. What was this about? My first thought was that I was caught trying to care about someone again. In the Army, a specific meeting time generally mean's you've seriously fucked up. And for me, that usually means I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut when something is weighing on my mind.

I looked at the clock constantly. I texted my friends furiously to keep my mind off the looming appointment.

12:30 came and went.

12:45 came and went.

12:50 came and went.

Lots of time to think about all the things that make me love my job, this lifestyle, and the uniform I wear with pride every day.

12:55 came and went. I had a feeling I should brace myself.

1300.

I walked down the hallway of my Brigade toward Doc's office... the same hallway I've walked down hundreds of times every day since the day I came to 1st Brigade Combat Team... "Raider" Brigade, more than 3 years ago.

As I walk down the hallway, I see my passion everywhere. Large, poster sized pictures of Soldiers working on M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicles, pictures I've taken of my comrades and their friends, enjoying a cool lunch break in the Camp Nathan Smith Dining Facility in Afghanistan... Pictures of combat patrols, award ceremonies, brigade-sized formations, fundraisers, military balls, homecomings, MAT-Vs speeding across the unforgiving landscape of Afghanistan, helicopters sending one of our wounded Soldiers to the only shot they have at surviving.

 (U.S. Army photo illustration by Sgt. Breanne Pye)

Pictures of too many flags draped across too many metal caskets of men I loved fiercely... on their way home for the last time. The last snap shot their families, friends and fellow Soldiers would ever see.

(U.S. Army photo illustration by Sgt. Breanne Pye)



 Pictures of young American men and women in uniform training young Afghan men to defend and protect their country.

(U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Breanne Pye)


I walk a few more steps.


My news articles are framed on the walls of every Battalion in this Brigade. Nearly every section has an article I've written or a photo I've taken of one of their amazing Soldiers. Proudly tacked to cubicle walls, or tactfully displayed as a screen saver on their work computers.

It feels like history. My history. OUR history. Something important that I've dedicated my life to. People I love that I have cried with, laughed with, FOUGHT with, thrived with.

(Photo by David Bowering)

Doc is waiting for me at the door to his office. He smiles at me, opens the door, and motions for me to come in and have a seat.

When I walk in, my breath catches.

More pictures.

Pictures of broken feet, broken fingers, broken legs, a broken arm, and a broken nose...

Pictures of my back.

A kaleidoscope of electromagnetic radiation photos that document another part of my history.

I breathe out, and look at Doc. He smiles at me... his eyes are watery. We've been through hell together. He's fought valiantly for my right to continue to wear this uniform. He's always been on my side. He's always believed in me when I told him I can still do this.

"I know you're not one for beating around the bush," he says. "But I need you to hear me out."

For over an hour he talks to me about my history. He meticulously documents every broken bone, every ER visit and every bizarre illness I've had in the 4 and a half years I've been back in this uniform. He spells out every detail. He compares each individual injury to a case that resulted in the end of a Soldier's career.

"I have to spell it out for you because I know you," he says. "For months, I've been waiting for you to realize that if you continue to push through all of this, there won't be anything left of you to push with."

There is a moment of silence. My face gets hot. I feel the tears coming from somewhere I thought they would be safe, and distant.

"I know you well enough to realize that you're never going to admit it's time to tap out," he said. "Because I care about you, I'm tapping out for you."

I wait for the hammer to fall.

"Tomorrow, at 1300, I'm starting the paperwork for your medical discharge," he says.

There's no stopping the tears now. I think about the pictures I passed in the hallway. I think about the faces of all the people I love and respect, staring at me from the walls on my way to this devastating meeting.

"You can't do it anymore," he tells me. "If you keeps this up, your back is just going to snap someday."

I sink, heavily, into a chair that appears beside me.

"You're 32 years old, Sergeant Pye," he says. "If I send you to a medical board now, you get out of the Army at the pinnacle of your success."

"You're a big deal right now," he says. "You are going to have people knocking down your door for a shot at hiring you."

He tells me he knows I can tough it out for a year, or two or five... but in the long run, I'm going to come out the other side of this so broken I won't be able to lift a camera.

I know he's right, so I don't say anything. Every moment that passes, I just feel more and more embarrassed because the tears will NOT stop.

Silence, and then I find my words again.

"I hiked over 13 miles this weekend, Sir."

I don't know what else to say.

"If you trust me, you'll hike a thousand times that in years to come," he says, then hugs me.

It's over now, and I know I literally don't have a leg to stand on.  He explains what is going to happen in the days and months to come. He tells me all the reasons he MUST do this, as my doctor. He tells me about all the benefits I'm going to get, as a condition of my medical discharge.

"This is only the end of one volume, Sergeant Pye," he says. "But it's not the end. I can't wait to see your pictures in National Geographic."

I smile on the outside, but on the inside, that only makes it worse.

"You're going to be a big deal," he says as he shows me to the door. "I have absolutely no doubt about that."

On my way out, I walk a little slower. Most of my fellow Soldiers have never seen me cry. The pictures on the wall are glaring at me now. Because now, they really are history.

"At least I've left my mark," I think
to myself. "At least they won't forget my name."

(Photos by David Bowering)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service. I really mean that...
    Woofy (from Journalspace)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your thanks, Woofy. I'm shocked and humbled by how incredible supportive Americans have been of their Soldiers this time around. Last time I was in the Army, support was a hard thing to come by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm humbled by the people like you who are willing to, not just say they love this country, but put their very lives and blood on the line to prove it...
    I'll be going to Central America again in a couple days, for three weeks. I always remember what it feels like to come back here. I can only imagine what it feels like for you soldiers...
    Anyway, thanks again for your service and sacrifice for the rest of us, and I'm glad your blogging again.
    God bless you,
    Randy (Woofy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy,

    Thank you so very much for your compliments and thoughts. It means the world to me to hear the out-pour of support from people like you. I am so blessed to live in a time where the majority of our nation supports their troops!

    I wish you safety, good health, adventure and JOY on your trip to Central America. Please keep YOU safe!

    God bless you as well, friend.

    ~Bree

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a big deal Bree ! I can't tell you how much my daughter, Melissa and I
    have enjoyed all the interesting , beautiful , and not so beautiful places you have taken us with your pictures and words . We have prayed for your safe return from Afghanistan .We loved how you found beauty in such a brown country!I am expecting great things from you . I am sure you will find great joy and beauty on this next leg of your journey . marti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marti,

    Thank you for saying so... but I'm a rather small deal. I almost feel unworthy to be praised as a Soldier because my life's work is to tell the Soldier's story. I've worked hard to do exactly that. To make mothers and fathers proud of their sons and daughters, and to help people with no military connections understand the sacrifice these young men and women in uniform make every day. I wish I could continue that mission... but instead I have to find another... a scary but exciting challenge for me! I have no idea what is coming next, but I know I WILL find great joy and beauty! Thank you for your kind comments, your unwavering support, and a sweetness with me that makes me feel squooshy.

    ReplyDelete